Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What a difference a section makes


I spent a little time exploring an initial site section, and began to study the observation platform's height per Michelle's and Enno's recommendation. As I began to grow it in height I thought it started to take on a more meaningful character - HOWEVER compared to my revised building it seemed to dwarf it and the massing of the main building seems to beg to be 3 stories again - as I had in the original massing in Boston.

Vis-a-vis the program of the building I don't think this creates a huge problem. I think the VIP lounge would move up a level, and that previous area becomes another cafe or two to compliment the food court. And then Club simply gains mezzanine space....not a bad program addition....

I've tossed up one of the rough sketches I was messing with for the tower and another story on the main building.

Thoughts, anyone?


4 comments:

MaloyMark said...

Eric,

Like the section and the amount of space still open on street level. This will allow for additional area for interaction of people in and around the tower. Are you exploring using multi-color glazing? This gives the elevations a little pop. Scale wise feel like it works well in the transition between Convention Center and Mall entry.

Keep up the hard work.

Frances Grob said...

Eric-

I'm a little confused by your plan. You show some doors that to me appear to be on the second floor but they open out so you fall 15'? I agree with Mark about the colored glazing. Be careful how tall you make the mass, it doesn't always payout for the interior (see Kate's blog). Good work though, keep it up.

enno said...

Eric,

Nice exploration! I think the tower turned out to be a little high, but you can best check the scale by including the real tower and the convention center in the background.

The most astonishing feature is that fact that the main building rests on the tree columns beyond the stair. Is that intentional? I think it's rather odd and would prefer a facade dropping down along the stair to be engaged in the program when moving up and down rather than looking to the underside of a slab.

What images do you have in mind for the building?

Enno

Eric Randall said...

Enno -

Sorry that was an incomplete sketch - I just posted it to solicit some feedback on the tower element. Per my plan below the building would extend to the ground - beyond the columns supporting the walk. Unfinished on my part and obviously a little unclear.