Thursday, February 7, 2008

I get by with a little help from a model

I decided to work on a physical sketch model to help me understand the heights and volumes of some of the spaces of my program as well as nail down the correct sizes for the green spaces and pockets of program on the upper level plaza. I'm convinced that three stories - or at least 3 floor heights of a total of 50'-0" is the right amount for the massing of the site, particularly when the forward pavilion grows in height. I also studied the vertical circulation atrium housing the elevator - the model tells me it needs to be a taller, distinct element from the building.

I envision the majority of the facade to remain a combination of transparent, translucent, and colored glass to allow street site glimpses into the park beyond. I've included a couple overall shots, and some "Eye level" views of the model depicting the areas I've been studying this evening. Materials on the model are not necessarily representative of the finished skin - I used various bits of stuff around the house to help define some volumes so that I can study them clearer in section.

Edit: For some reason the enlargement of the photos look terrible on my laptop - way too grainy. I think the thumbnails are clear enough to see - I'll try to fix the image quality later.


Overall progress



Shot showing height definition for pavilion and Atrium element beyond



Eye level view from Convention Center Colonnade - Elmer's glue bottle not to scale



Approaching site from Boylston Street




Atrium element relative to main building - keep in mind there will be another horizontal plane (the roof) on the main building at 15'-0" above the mezzanine area shown

1 comment:

enno said...

Eric,

This model is really helpful and your are making excellent progress.

I am a little surprised be the tower element close to the mall entrance: on its own it's a nice gesture, but it is competing the the existing volume and the pavillion. That seems to be a bit much.

Why don't you make that part removable and try other options in the model.

The eye level shots don't work as nicely as the overall photos.

Enno