Sunday, February 17, 2008

Elevation - as it were



After fighting with these elevations over a long 5 day stretch, I'm declaring the elevations the winner, and me the clear looser.

So many things I'm wrestling with still:

  • Making the transparency I'm trying to portray read correctly. I thought I had the solution, but in the end, particularly at this scale the drawing looks terrible washed out and extremely flat.
  • Material choices: Does it make sense for this thing to be as simple as a giant glass box? I continue to want to break up the facade more, against everyone's opinion. For now, that's how I've left it.
  • And I'm sure numerous other issues I'm too exhausted to consider now.
So for now, I'll let the elevations be, and hopefully revisit them later in the week. Perhaps a different medium (physical model, I'm thinking) can better illustrate my vision, rather than 2-d elevations.

I shall bid farewell to this frustrating week, and hope for new inspiration in the morning.

4 comments:

MCS said...

Eric,

I can understand your frustration with the size and scale of the elevations - and trying to "squeeze" them onto these boards.

However...

I think that surprisingly your elevation is somewhat convincing.
It is almost impossible to create an elevation which consists of clear glass without making the elevation look like a section. Honestly, by using skectup/revit it might be easier, but I think if you draw an interior elevation that coincides with your model (aka - same scale), as you suggested, that might be very helpful.

Are you no longer doing the colored/tinted glass panels that you had drawn in some of your previous sections? I thought those added an element of "metamorphosis", perhaps, as the color "changes" on those panels (not physically, but at different times in the day, depending on when/where the sun is located).

I think your model with really help relate your elevations/interiors...that way people can start "feelin'" what you are trying to say.

enno said...

Eric,

Your elevations are not that bad! The things that bother me are easy to take care of:

- the heavy parapet on the top is distracting and actually not necessary. There are other ways to solve this detail without drawing that much attention to this minor detail.

- graphics: use heavier outline/shadow to mark the opening at the stair (very important!) and fill in the cut lines at the bridge with black. This will give a lot more depth to the drawing. Also make the outline at the section cut on the ground and the adjacent buildings thicker. Add a few randomly places crisp dark lines to the facade grid to spice it up a bit: try a few options and play around with it.

You see: my comments are mostly on graphics.

Enno

jenny chang said...

Eric,

Great improvement! It's looking ready good. Reads alot better.

ok, have to go. Will write more later. Goog luck!

Jen

kschommer said...

Hi Eric!

I don't think that your elevations look as bad as you're suggesting. I'm not sure if you've done this, but when I'm drawing elevations of glass buildings by hand I like to use up to 5 different layers of trace, especially for the things that one might see behind the glass. This way you can scan all 5 sheets into photoshop and play with their transparencies, light & darkness on the computer rather than trying to modify everything by hand. The best way I've found to do this is to split up everything that you would see in an elevation by layers or like you would in CAD by lineweights. The foreground becomes it own separate sheet of trace and then the building, first plane inside the building, and any background imagery inside the building, and so on. I would try and give this a shot to get some more dimension in your elevations, otherwise I think you're looking good!

Kate