Sunday, February 10, 2008

Site sections, lessons learned, and the Big Push




After taking a look at the vertical tower housing the elevator for the main building, I realized the footprint of it was way too big. I have scaled it down considerably, as is reflected in the site section - I will need to go back and adjust it in plan.

These site sections were a bit difficult to cut - my most important one barely cuts through the building itself - and with it being at an angle, there is some distortion that makes it a bit difficult to understand.

I found the sketchup model to be absolutely essential in studying the final massing, and I'm finally pleased with the results.

Looking forward to the final two weeks: beyond developing the main building section and elevation, I need to revisit both my site analysis and concept to hone them again as my concept has tightened up. I am back to a 3 story mass, so I will need to generate that plan, as well as modify my existing plans based on what I have learned from the site sections and massing. Lastly I would like to spend some time exploring both the bridge design and the urban tree clusters I have created, as well as refining the landscaping in the elevated park. Wow....that's a lot to do.

5 comments:

MCS said...

Eric,
Just looking at your plans - one of the strongest element you have on these drawings is your sketch-up models. I found it to be extremely helpful in deciphering your plans. Do you plan on doing a more in depth 3d model (in sketch-up) for the final presentation as well?

Curtis said...

Hello Eric,

I like the section drawings. I think scaling down the tower looks great. I can't imagine how you drew the section with the angle in it. Have you gone crossed eyed from that section yet? Where did you get the scale figures from? I think they are great, did you photoshop them in? Because generally the figures that sketch up and Cad offer are pretty boring. They have a way of putting things into perspective. Great drawings and graphics on your board.

Curtis

Tim Geiger said...

Eric,
Good presentation, looks like you have a knack for organizing these things. I like that your section cut isn't at a 90 degree angle to the site, it helps show those relationships you've made by angling a lot of your building facades. My one suggestion on the top cut would be to show some of the context so that it is apparent just by looking at it that it is not parallel to the convention center. Nice job.

kschommer said...

Hi Eric!

It is great to see that you dove into sketchup. I can't speak enough of how great it is to do some quick massing studies. It helps me a lot in that nothing is permanent and I don't need to spend a great deal of time physically building something, that way I don't get to attached to any idea.

Based on the images you have on your board I am missing the context of the plaza on street level. Curious as to what you have planned for this space? I love the idea of your dance patio and I would hate for it to go away in the cold months. Maybe there is some kind of structural elements that you could design around it, for it to adventually be somewhat enclosed during the winter with some cool urban looking fireplaces. I am using a similar idea for my plaza design during the winter. Check out this website www.ecosmartfire.com It is an modern take on fireplaces and I could really see something like this being a feature on your design as well.

Job well done!

kate

Chad R. Kohler said...

Eric –

This has really come a long way… big time! I am liking it.

My only comment though is the tower along Boylston. I think you need to revisit the patio/look-out walk way on top. When I first looked at, it looked like an airport control tower. Feel free to smack me when you see me again in August.

Other than that… looking real good!

Chad